What is the difference between direct primary care vs concierge medicine?
Looking for affordable, personal healthcare but overwhelmed by options?
Most people dread going to the doctor, even if it’s just for a checkup. You’re forced to wait in a stuffy waiting room only to be whisked through a quick visit with your doctor. Many times, you don’t get the adequate attention, support, or care you need.
The good news is, there are alternative ways to receive medical care: Direct Primary Care and Concierge Medicine.
Both care options are based on a subscription model to provide you with personal access to your healthcare professionals whenever necessary. Direct Primary Care (DPC) and Concierge Medicine doctors keep their practices smaller, allowing for a more personal doctor-patient relationship.
However, there are some key differences between DPC and Concierge care. When choosing between these healthcare models, patients may wonder about the varying benefits offered by either Direct Primary Care or Concierge Medicine.
Let’s break down Direct Primary Care vs Concierge Medicine.
The Financial Differences
Direct Primary Care (DPC) will often operate under these payment structures:
- DPC doesn’t bill insurance
- DPC is paid through a monthly fee
- DPC is affordable and offers discounted pharmacy, labs, imaging, etc.
- DPC focuses less on offering premium services compared to Concierge Medicine
Here’s how Concierge Medicine differs from DPC:
- Concierge Medicine bills insurance AND charges a membership fee
- Concierge is generally an annual fee
- Concierge is three to ten times more expensive than DPC
- Concierge focuses on priority scheduling and specialist access rather than pharmacy/lab discounts
The Patient Differences
When it comes to Direct Primary Care vs Concierge Medicine, it’s also important to consider which models work best for your situation, health needs, and healthcare desires.
Direct Primary Care patients:
- Want long and convenient visits
- Are looking for convenient scheduling and less wait time
- Desire quick access to a healthcare professional
- Want an affordable alternative to a general practitioner
- Are often younger and rely on Medicare and Medicaid benefits
- Want longer visits with their doctors and more “white glove” attention
- Are looking for priority scheduling and no wait time
- Desire a personal relationship with their doctors
- Want a healthcare experience that’s like “flying first class”
- Are often older
How do Direct Primary Care and Concierge Medicine measure up to traditional healthcare?
Whether you prefer Direct Primary Care or Concierge Medicine, both options exceed traditional healthcare in many ways.
In the typical healthcare system, your insurance plan often dictates which doctors you can visit. Patients may wait days or weeks to see their doctor, and visits are short and rushed. It’s easy to feel like your doctor doesn’t take the time to get to know you and views you as just another number.
Also, because doctors’ offices are so crowded, doctors don’t devote much time or energy to preventative care. When it comes to finances, insurance covers a lot of the costs. However, many patients run into “hidden fees” they have to pay out-of-pocket.
On the other hand, DPC and Concierge Medicine allow you to choose your own healthcare provider. You’ll get to visit your doctor as much as needed, and because concierge physicians see a smaller number of patients, your doctor will spend much more time with you. Practices like Link Primary Care devote a lot of energy to preventative care, which maximizes your time, money, and health. All costs are upfront, and you won’t find yourself shelling out extra money just because your insurance provider fails to cover some obscure treatment.
Direct Primary Care vs Concierge Medicine: how to know what plan works for you.
Still thinking about Direct Primary Care vs Concierge Medicine? Link Primary Care may be the right fit for you. We mainly provide Direct Primary Care, but we also employ a Concierge Physician for those interested in Concierge Medicine. If you’re tired of long waiting room visits, a rushed doctor’s appointment, and the hassle of trying to contact your doctor, our services are right for you.
Link Primary Care offers immediate appointments; a Concierge Physician; care for all ages, direct access to your doctor; no enrollment fees; and wholesale tests, labs, and prescriptions.
To sign up for a plan or to ask further questions, book a FREE 15-minute consult to see if we’re the right fit for you.